Monday, May 18, 2009

Women's Retreat

I am a bit delayed in posting this but it was so great that I really did not want to just skip it. A few weeks ago, right before we lost Caleb, I went on a Women's Retreat with my new church. Brad and I have been going to Simple Faith Calvary for about 6 months or so and have really been blessed there. It is a small church with strong biblical teaching, minimal programs and a totally loving atmosphere. We have been so blessed in the past by wonderful church families and once again we are blessed by this church family.

Since our church is small, our Women's Retreat was small, about 25 women. Most of the women in the church were able to be there, but my 2 closest friends could not come due to their girls ballet performances that weekend. It was quite the stretch for me to go when I barely knew anyone ( I really struggle with social anxiety in situations like this). I am so so so glad I decided to fight the fear and go.

The weekend was wonderful. We went to the beach and stayed at the most incredible beach house. See the pictures below, it was amazing! We had wonderful worship and teaching and the ladies that shared their testimonies were so impacting. But more than anything you could really feel the presence of God there. There was a safety and a joy that is hard to explain with 25 women of all ages and backgrounds.

I fell in love with the women of this church. God is so amazing. It is funny (not really funny) how we can get so caught up in our lives, our failures, our pains, and really have no idea about the lives of those around us. These women shared at such a deep and honest level, and loved on each other, loved on me, and shared such heartbreak but also had so much joy. There was a lot of tears but just as much laughter. God ministered to each of us and ministered through each of us. It is hard to fully explain how it was but I am so glad I went.

The Tuesday after I got back from the beach we found out that Caleb went to be with Jesus. Once again, I feel like God used that time at the beach to help prepare me for what was to come. Not only did I draw close to God that weekend, but I allowed these women to know me and draw close to me. It is so hard after something like this happens to go back to church, or go to any group, it is so hard to sense and feel every ones grief and not completely crumble at the weight of it all. But the very next weekend we went back to church and I was totally blessed by the love and understanding I received. God is good.

I have an amazing group of women around me and I am so grateful. Since then I have gone back to MOMS group, and to Women's Bible study and to work and each time it is overwhelming. The sadness in all these people is overwhelming. It really shows me how much they care about me and my family, but still it is overwhelming. It is not that I am not sad but I have grieved and I am grieving but sometimes seeing other peoples grief is overwhelming. But each place I go, each step I take is a step forward. Moving forward is good.

Anyways, the retreat was a wonderful time with the Lord and with these beautiful women. Here is the view from my bed out the window, can you believe it? I got the master suite with another girl that was pregnant too. It was such a blessing, I slept like a baby.

This is the large dining table, it seats 12, and another table seats 8 and there was tons of seating at the bar. This table was incredible. The ceilings were like our wood floors, every detail of this house was peaceful and restful.
Here is our kitchen, it was great too, lots of yummy food.


Here is the luxury Master suite, although all of the bedrooms were amazing. We were on the top floor but on the second floor there were 4 bedrooms, 2 with 2 queens a piece and their own bathrooms and 2 with 1 queen a piece and a shared bathroom. Then on the entry floor there was a pool table, poker table, foose ball, ping pong, 2 beds, bunk beds and 2 pull out couches. Plus a hot tub out on the patio. Really it was incredible!

Here is the main living area where we had our worship, teaching and sharing. We had an incredible view of the beach that was at times distracting, especially at sunset. What a blessing!

I cannot wait for next year.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Kelly - that is beautiful - I didn't realize that you were going to Simple Faith. One of my good friends, Sherry Mooresmith, and her family goes there - she went on that retreat too. I went to a women's tea with her and her church ladies a couple years ago - they really do have an amazing group of ladies there and a true sense of friendship among them all - I'm so happy to hear that you are being blessed there. Sherry's daughter, Clara, is my daughter's best friend - they went to pre-school together and share the same birthdays. I hope you are doing well - you are in my thoughts more then you know.

Kimberly Carolan said...

It sounds like just what you needed, especially after your loss! It can be hard, but it is so good to meet people who will care about you and you can care about them!

Kim Carolan
www.strategicbookpublishing.com/walkingthroughthevalleyoftheshadowofdeath.html
http://walkingthroughthevalleyoftheshadow.blogspot.com

meleea said...

that is my kind of women's retreat - sounds heavenly! so glad you are getting connected and being cared for. you are so loved by many people and by a big GOD! thanks for blessing me the last couple of weeks - glad i got to spend some time at your house. xoxoxo-