Thursday, April 9, 2009

Porcupine Attack!

Brad is out of town all week for work and it never fails that something random and crazy happens. At least I am at a stage that I can laugh about it most of the time. Our 2 outdoor dogs are blue heelers and we keep them close to the house with an invisible shock fence. Well the day Brad left the fence had a breach which means it does not shock the dogs when they try to cross it. Well the dogs are so used to the fence that it took them about 3 days to realize they could venture across the fence. Today was that day.

I was about to leave the house with the girls to run errands and Kadie was at the door looking out the window. She said "mommy what is wrong with Dundee's nose?" I looked out the window to see a sad little dog with 3 big porcupine quills sticking out of his nose. Then poor Saphira looked like she was growing a white wire beard, she had at least 10 quills in her chin.

I called the vet and of course needed to take them in since I was not about to tackle this problem. The dogs hate the car, probably since they only go to vet in it. I had a heck of a time trying to wrestle them into their kennel in the back of the van, picking them ups fighting and barking, I would get one in and then the other would escape, seriously it was a mess.

The sad part is that it is super dangerous, usually they have them all in their mouth and tongue as well and they are fetal if not removed. I had no idea. They had to totally put them under to remove the quills, not an expected expense but what do you do? I told them to save the quills, Brad wanted to save them, but in all the craziness I forget to get them from the vet. Bummer.

Anyway, that was our Daddy out of town adventure. Here is a picture of Dundee's nose, I could not even get Saphira to stay put long enough to get a picture even though she was much worse off.



The porcupine won this won.

No comments: