Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Potty Training????

So I have to admit that I am a lazy potty trainer. I can see the convenience of diapers and things get a bit more complicated, at least for a while, with the potty. With both Kadie and Jack, I waited til they were 3 and were totally ready and we had very little issues, no wet pants or accidents and no wet beds.

Things are a bit different this time around. First of all, Issie at 17 mos is telling me when and before she needs to go "stinky". It is pretty shocking to me as I don't remember my other two ever being aware at all and usually denying the clearly undeniable. So I decided to get out the potty seat just to see. Well, of course she wanted nothing to do with it at first. But then when Kadie sits in there with her, she is all about sitting on the potty. Well sitting, then standing in it, then turning around to take it apart and put it back together, then sitting again.

Then on Sat only the second time sitting on the potty, she peed! I could not believe it. We were hooting and hollering and making a big fuss and she was pretty excited, although I am pretty sure she had no clue what had happened. I went to get her a diaper, only to come back to see she pooped on the floor right next to the potty. So we are not really celebrating too much yet.

I have low expectations and I am fine if she is still in diapers come September when the baby comes. But I am also thinking that this may be possible to have her trained before 2. Is that possible? She only has about 10 words, so thinking she can understand this process is mind blowing but I think I may be underestimating her.

I will keep you posted, as I am sure this is a fascinating to all of you as it is to our household. Ahhhh, the life of a mama.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I would expect some good days and then total regression at this age. If you can stand to keep her in panties all day for several days in a row so she can really feel herself going and learn the sensation she might figure it out faster - I say leave the potty out - praise her when she goes - let big sister bring her into the bathroom as much as she will - and then get ready for a year of pull-ups. Eventually they wear the same pull-up all day and when they can get that accomplished for several days in a row and start sleeping through the night dry - then you've done it without the stress and hassle. Read lots of potty books too!