Monday, September 22, 2008

Got Milk? Apparently Not.

I find it pretty ironic that I dressed my little Isabella in this cute little "got milk?" outfit today of all days. She turns 11 months this week and we were home sick today. Today was the day I think I have finally come to accept that my milk is running out. As for all of us, I think, breastfeeding is a blessing and a challenge. I have blessed with pretty good situations but it seems this time around it has been a little more on the challenge side. I don't know if it is because I am older so I have less of a milk supply or if she is just too much of a snacker and complacent with whatever she gets or if maybe it is always hard like this but with her possibly being our last baby it just feels more emotional.
In one sense, I am totally ready to be done, but on the other side it is sad to know I will be done. Then there is the transition. I am usually a rule follower but I have started all of my kiddos on whole milk when they were about 11 months (not the recommended 1 year mark). I don't know why but I just would prefer not to do formula (especially for only 1 month), if I don't have too.
So back to today. She just does not seem to get anything anymore and with her being sick she seems pretty frustrated. I absolutely did not want to initiate whole milk when she already had a cold but I did. First I tried to go straight to the sippy cup and she did OK but did not take much. So I gave it to her in a bottle. I think being a little sick it just was a bit more comfort to have the bottle (especially since there was actually something coming out when she sucked).
So I am grieving and praying she does not have a reaction to dairy. I am excited to see her growing up and toddling around but it is definitely a season passing and I am rarely ready for that.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Kelly - there are lots of reasons baby's "go on strike" with breastfeeding - it usually only lasts a week or so (check with her pediatrician if you think she has an ear infection - that can really cause resistance to nursing) - if you want to keep going, nurse her as much as she will let you - try to take her away to quiet spots where she isn't so distracted - get in the tub with her - skin to skin is really great - use your pump to keep your supply up - you can always give her pumped breast milk... I wouldn't give up yet if you aren't ready - unless she is full up rejecting everything to do with breastfeeding, I would keep your milk supply in by pumping - have a babymoon - you and Isabella naked in bed all day long together...if nothing changed after a week or so of effort to keep your milk up and her happy, I would talk to a lactation consultant - you can call our lactation line at SWMC at 514-4027 or come to the BF Support Group anytime on Thursdays from 9:30 -11:30 a.m. at the Family Birth Center (no charge - no sign up - and you don't have to have had your baby at SWMC to come) - just some info. that I hope will help you! It was hard to give up and I miss it still so much...

Eryn said...

I know what you mean, it's bitter sweet. It's kind of nice to not be chained to your baby, but SO SAD at the same time. It's hard to say goodbye to that stage.

KellyD said...

Thanks Tamara, that is good info. I have done these things a few times earlier on in the process and it is true I have not done them at this point. I think I know I am nearing the time that I usually stop and part of me is ok with that but it is said nonetheless. I usually stop just before then turn 1 so the fact that she is almost there and that I have little motivation to do the work (totally sick of my pump)I guess I am just feeling like it is time. I am still nursing 2-3 times a day but it is just a snack and not sufficient to give her the fat and nutrients she needs. We are just moving forward. Thanks.

Tamara said...

Well, I can just give you lots of praise for doing such an awesome job of breastfeeding for 11 plus months - awesome! And as for the whole milk thing... I did the same thing when I started weaning Taylor at 11 months and she went right to whole milk and we never did formula. Glad you are ready to move to the next phase and obviously your Little Miss is, too - walking - oh my!