Sunday, May 9, 2010

New York City

A few weeks ago, I went to NYC for 5 days for a class (more on this to come). I was in the Big Apple all alone, a bit of an adventure for this suburban mamma. I have to say, it is totally amazing and I would never want to live there. The history and culture is so interesting. But it is so loud, everything echoes off the buildings and pavement. People are super helpful and friendly if you need help, but otherwise everyone walks with their own personal space bubble around them. I guess you have to when you live in a city of several million. It was cold the first few days and I went dressed for spring. On my first day, I walked from Lower Manhattan to Central Park. Over 3 miles, but I knew I would pass all kinds of things on the way. It was amazing. I realize how saturated I am in my Christian, country world. Living on a quiet mountain, carting kids here and there. The city seemed cold and so far from God. I was very prayerful on this trip as I was seeking the Lord's leading regarding the class I was there for. So I felt very close to God but was having a hard time seeing Him in the City. But then on my walk, out of the blue, He would show is face. Like this cross, in the middle of buildings, it was like Him telling me, I am hear, you just have to keep your eyes open.

Once I really kept my eyes and heart open, I was able to see amazing things. So much of the City was built long ago when our country was firmly based on our Christian roots, there would be scripture carved into the sides of buildings. And angels on the corners of the architecture. I stayed at an inexpensive place that was run by a urban mission church that ministered to seaman when they were in town. They had prayers posted in the elevator, as the elevator was incredibly slow and they thought this would be a great time to pray in a peaceful moment (and it was).
On my walk to Central Park, I passed the Empire State Building, I did it as a kid and did not want to spend my one full free day waiting in line to go up a rickety elevator and freak myself out over how high up I was, so I just took a snapshot and kept on walking.

I then passed Grand Central Station- so cool! It is amazing how much amazing sites are packed into this city.


Another shot of a "random", and amazing church planted right on Park Avenue. Lots of reminders of that I was not alone in this big cement city, it was such a beautiful time with God. I cannot remember the last time I was off by myself without at least one of my kids or Brad to talk to. It was so different. I really took Jesus with me doing everything, I realize how weird and "Jesus Freak" that might sound but it was really an amazing time, like a 5 day quiet time, so needed in my life.
I finally made it to Central Park. I actually had to stop and buy a jacket as it was raining and cold and I was not going to walk back to my hotel. But I made it. It was a bit ironic. Here I was in this big amazing famous city, with tons of city stuff to do, and I spend my day walking to the one place that reminds me of home. It was so beautiful to see this huge green peaceful park in the middle of all that noise and pavement. These tulips brought tears to my eyes, or maybe it was just how cold I was.... no they were amazing and they were every where. I cannot believe how beautifully kept and manicured this park is. It was by far my favorite place in New York. This would be the reason, I would bring my kids back. So many things to do here.

Looks like a scene right out of a movie, right? You could walk forever and here and there you would have a musician or artist performing. Or you would see a wedding or someone getting pictures done.
This would have been one of my kids favorites, you can rent these little sail boats and remote control them all over this pond. Families were having such a good time, it really made me miss mine. If I had my family, I would have taken the horse drawn carriage through the park, it was just so majestic.
I spent the rest of my day at the Met. I am not a museum girl but this place was incredible! I was tired and cold and it was peaceful and breathtaking. I only spend about 2 hours there and I only saw a small fraction of it all but I was so tired and decided to hail my first cab and get back to the hotel for a hot shower and a long nap.

The next few days were spent in my class. But I got to ride the subway (with my instructor, who so lovingly helped me around the city). And one day of my class was right on Wall Street across from the New York Stock Exchange(below) and the Trinity Church (above). Pretty cool. I had some great Pizza, great bagels and really got a taste of this crazy place.

On my last day, after I took all my tests and passed my demonstration exam, I treated myself to this super yummy Love Martini, it was made with passion fruit and blood orange and had toasted coconut on the rim, oh so good!

At this point, not because of the martini, I was feeling pretty gutsy. I was done studying, done class and had 4 hours until I needed to head for the airport. I took the subway by myself! I first went down to Ground Zero- I really wanted to see it and pray for those families and our country. It was weird, different, I don't really know what I expected. But it was filled with construction workers and it happened to be lunch time so they were everywhere. They are building some sort of memorial, but it was unclear. It was amazing to see and to see how our country was not destroyed by such a horrible act. I had lunch, then being so gutsy, I took another subway up to Time Square, because my crazy friend Melissa told me I had to see it. Well, I saw it. And that was enough. Right out of the subway was this sign for Mary Poppins (my kids love this movie) so I got a picture. Bought a t shirt for Jack and took a quick look around and realized that I now felt done with New York. If you have been there, you know what I mean. I am sure for some people this is fun, but for this small town girl, it was not.

I know I did not get to do all the stuff, like see a show or visit Broadway, or go to the Statue of Liberty. I was short on time, my class was my priority and funds were not over flowing. But I totally felt like I had a great experience. It would be fun to go with my family, but I think Issie would need to be at least 6 and that would make Jack 15, who knows where life will lead us by then? So good to be home, to my mountain and only hearing coyotes at night:)

No comments: