Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jack's Field Day

It is kinda sad to admit that I have not volunteered at Jack's school for nearly 2 years! I had no idea it had been that long until I signed up for Field Day and my security clearance had expired. Both his dad and Brad have gone on field trips but I have been either pregnant, with a newborn, pregnant again or working. Time just flies by and you don't realize how much they still want you there. So on Jack's last day of school, Field Day, I went and spent the day with him.

It was so fun to watch him with his friends and in his little world. He must have told me 10 times how thankful he was that I was there. It was really a great day. His school is wonderful, set in the country with a huge play field and big trees everywhere. Jack is the kid that knows everyone, every ones name and what class they are in. He is Mr. Social. I am not sure where he gets that from but it is fun to watch. And he runs everywhere, non stop running from place to place. His best friend right now is Michael, who does not run and has a hard time keeping up. Jack is not little for his grade, maybe one of the taller kids but his friend Michael is about a foot taller than him. They were partners so they went everywhere together that day.

There is a group of girls, I will not mention names, that Jack hangs out with too. There is one particular crush but a lot of the rest is typical 10 year old girl talk. These girls all came up to me saying you must be Jack's mom and giggling. It is a bit too much for me to wrap my head around at 10 but it is what it is.

Next year he will be the "king of the hill" in fifth grade. He is really looking forward to that. I keep telling him to enjoy it as much as he can since middle school is right around the corner, ugh! I am totally not ready for that.

Jack and Michael

Hanging out with mom at the Soccer Ball Partner Race.
Jack and Michael on the soccer ball partner race.



Some of the 4th grade gang.
Getting ready for tug of war.
Jack's class one some and lost some. It was so fun to be there and be a part of what is important to him. I am constantly aware of how important it is for me to be interested in what is important to him. He lights up when he talks about things that seem like nothing to me, until I see how much they mean to him. You could really miss something special if you don't really work on paying attention and listening. I remember one of the women in my church a few years ago giving our MOMS group this advice.... "listen to them when they talk about the stuff you don't really care about and later they will talk to you about the things that really matter". I hope that I can really listen to him now, I really want to be a part of his world. It takes constant effort and forethought but it is worth it to see a little bit of who God made him to be. Thank you Lord for the boy you have blessed us with, he keeps us laughing and thinking. Love you, Jack.

No comments: